Moldy Chocolate: Causes, Signs & Prevention

Moldy chocolate is a rare occurrence that happens when you expose your chocolate to moisture for a long period. In such a case, mold can grow on the outside and the inside of the chocolate.

Moldy chocolate is very unpleasant. It is unappetizing and can cause health problems for you if you ingest it. To make you understand better, this article is all about moldy chocolate and what to do with it.

Read on to find out more.

What is moldy chocolate?

Moldy chocolate is a term used to describe chocolate that has mold growth. Although rare, mold may form on chocolates if you expose them to too much moisture.

The most common types of mold in chocolates are black mold, white mold, red mold, and green mold. These molds produce mycotoxins that can cause allergic reactions and even lung disease and death in some people.

If you see any signs of mold growth on your chocolate, don’t try to salvage it by cleaning it up. Instead, discard the chocolate and clean up any surface it might have come in contact with.

Why do chocolates get moldy?

The most common cause of moldy chocolates is improper storage. Mold spores are present in the atmosphere, but chocolate doesn’t contain enough moisture to support the growth of these spores.

When you leave your chocolate out in a wet or humid environment, such as on your kitchen sink or in your bathroom, the moisture content of the chocolate will rapidly start to increase.

This allows the mold spores present in the atmosphere to contaminate your chocolate and thrive on it. Once this happens, your chocolate will start to change color and develop other signs of mold growth.

What does moldy chocolate look like?

mold on chocolate - millenora

Moldy chocolate is exactly the opposite of what good chocolate looks like. The mold growth will make it look fuzzy with a blackish, reddish, or whitish tint. Moldy chocolate may also have a musty smell that makes you want to throw it away.

If you have any doubts about whether your chocolate is safe to eat or not, it’s best to throw it out immediately.

Eating moldy chocolate can cause severe health issues, especially in children and people with compromised immune systems.

What does moldy chocolate taste like?

Moldy chocolate tastes terrible. If you’ve ever eaten a slice of moldy bread, you already have an idea of what moldy chocolate will taste like, except that it is more bitter.

The mold releases some harmful chemicals called mycotoxins into the chocolate. This compound is responsible for the bitter taste.

The best way to prevent this from happening is to keep your chocolates in an airtight container away from moisture. Then, keep the container in a cool, dry place.

If you have some chocolates with mold growing on them, throw them away. Moldy chocolates are not safe for consumption, so you shouldn’t eat them or use them for baking and cooking.

What happens when you eat moldy chocolate?

When you eat moldy chocolate, you may experience nausea, stomach pain, and vomiting after a few hours. It’s also possible to experience other symptoms like fever, diarrhea, headache, and fatigue.

In addition, moldy chocolates can cause allergic reactions in some people. If you’re allergic to yeast or mold (or both), then you’ll be at risk of a reaction if you eat moldy chocolate.

Moldy chocolates can also cause complications for people who have certain health conditions, such as asthma, immune diseases, and kidney disease.

It’s also very dangerous for pregnant women and their babies because the toxins in it can cause brain damage in babies born prematurely.

What should you do if you accidentally eat moldy chocolate?

If you accidentally eat moldy chocolate, the first thing to do is spit out the remaining chocolate in your mouth. This can be difficult, as the chocolate will have hardened and become stuck in your teeth.

If spitting doesn’t work, try brushing your teeth and scraping your tongue. Once you’ve gotten rid of as much moldy chocolate as possible, wash your hands and change your clothes.

Also, discard any remaining moldy chocolate. Place it in a plastic bag, seal it tightly, and trash it. This is important to avoid contaminating other foods or surfaces with the mold spores present in the chocolate.

If you experience any symptoms that make you think you should see a doctor, such as an allergic reaction, seek medical attention immediately.

What to do if you have mold on your chocolate

  • Discard the moldy chocolate immediately.
  • Discard all contaminated foods.
  • Check the area where the chocolate was stored for any contaminated surfaces. If you find mold dust, wash the surface immediately with soap and clean water.
  • Wash your hands well with soap and water before handling any food products or dishes in your home or office.
  • Avoid using bleach or anything harsh that can penetrate your skin and cause damage.
  • Seek medical attention if you experience any allergic reaction.

How can you prevent mold growth on chocolates?

The best way to prevent mold growth on chocolates is by keeping them dry and clean. To do this, store your chocolate in an airtight container and keep it in a cool, dry place away from moisture and heat sources.

If you make your chocolates at home, make sure you use as few wet ingredients as possible. Too much moisture can make chocolates moldy if the container is not tightly sealed.

Another way to prevent mold growth on homemade and store-bought chocolates is by storing them in the refrigerator or freezer. This will also help prevent the growth of other harmful microorganisms on your chocolates.


What is a fat bloom on chocolate?

The term fat bloom refers to the separation of cocoa butter from chocolate. When this happens, the cocoa butter will separate from the rest of the chocolate and form a white layer on top of it.

Are moldy chocolate chips safe to eat?

No, they’re not. Mold is a sign of spoilage that tells you chocolate chips have gone bad. The longer you leave mold-covered chocolate chips around, the more harmful they will be to humans and animals.

Can moldy chocolate bars make you sick?

Yes, they can. The toxins in moldy chocolate bars can enter your bloodstream and cause symptoms like nausea, abdominal pain, and diarrhea.

Moldy chocolate bars can also cause allergic reactions in people that are sensitive to mold or yeast.


Moldy chocolates are chocolates that have gone bad because of mold growth. Although they are not as common as other types of moldy foods, such as bread or cheese, they can still cause health issues if you consume them.

If you notice mold growth on your chocolate, discard it immediately and seek medical attention if necessary.

I’ll recommend that you check out the health benefits of taking chocolate for sore throat.

Thanks for reading.